Today I am giving a review on this very unique special club bottle of champagne! There are only 28 growers/producers in Champagne, France that make “special club.” Here is what it means ….
The Special Club concept started in 1971. A dozen wine growers from some old families of Champagne had an idea to familiarize people with the originality of the “Champagne de Vigneron” (Champagne of wine grower), thanks to prestigious vintages.
In the beginning, they created an association called the “Club des Viticulteurs Champenois” and chose a bottle with a special shape, created exclusively for them & used only by them. In 1988, they changed the bottle and the label. In 1999, the Club changed its name to “Club Trésor of Champagne.”
The Club Trésors comprises 28 artisan wine makers, selected from the finest areas of the Champagne region, each one recognized for the quality of their work. The Club Trésors is the only organization in Champagne to select its members according to a set of unrelenting quality standards:
- Each winemaker must make their champagnes entirely in his, or her, own premises and cellars. Furthermore, the champagne must be made exclusively from grapes harvested in his, or her, own vineyards.
- Each wine maker is devoted to his work and passionately protects the quality and the unique character of his own terroir.
- The jury of oenologists and wine professionals who select the champagnes demand irreproachable quality in both the work in the vineyard and the wines.
- Each champagne is subject to two blind tastings (once at the still wine stage before bottling and again after 3 years ageing in bottle) by a panel of passionate and distinguished oenologists and wine makers. 4 years aging minimum is required.
- A Special Club champagne may only be made in outstanding vintage years.
Roland Champion’s Special Club selection has rich and structured aromas. Very pleasant and generous roundness, nice length in mouth. Golden color with buttery and fruity aromas. All of the expression of a magnificent terroir for your most pleasurable moments.
2012 Champagne Roland Champion Special Club Chouilly Grand Cru – 95 PTS – IWR
“The Special Club offers notes of brioche and poached pear on the nose and presents a rich, fresh palate of excellent textural richness and complexity. Finishes long and focused with hints of oyster shell and citrus. Overall, an outstanding Special Club from the superb 2012 vintage. This cuvée meets the rigorous production and tasting standards of the Club Trésors; it’s 100% old vine Chardonnay with 6 years sur latte.”
– I-WineReview (Champagne: Diversity and Change, January 2020), 95 pts
If you would like to order one of these special bottle’s or join the Fizz Champagne club … please contact me @ firstname.lastname@example.org